Friday, July 18, 2008

Carnatic Music and Raaga Sense


There are a lot of things I would like to write about carnatic music and raagas.....the very thought about it brings Anandabairavi, Arabhi, Darbar, Naata, Sriraagam etc..in my mind. Many of the renderings make my hairs stand upright...
Thanks to the great connoisseurs of classical music - Thyagaraja, Muthuswami Dikshitar, Chembai etc...

Until I joined a music class very recently, I used to understand raagas by correlating them with film songs. This helped me in identifying raagas of the various common songs in kacheries. But I know that without knowing the Arohona and Avarohana of the various raagas it is useless and that is why I have decided to join a music class. Its better late than never. I have even tried my hands at the Violin but havent been able to go far. More than performing on a stage, I prefer understanding the beauty, the vast richness and the arithmetics of the various raagas. That will be my aim while I study my music lessons.

There are lots of hit songs in the raga Kapi:
Some of them that I can recollect now are:

Kaadhal Rojave, Film: Roja ; Singer: SPB
Uyre Uyire: Film: Bombay
Ennathavam: Film: Thillakam
Poovukul : Film: Jeans
Thumbi Vaa Thumbakulathil : Film : Olangal
Varamanjaladiya: Film: Pranayavarnangal
Karimizhi kuriviye: Film: Meesamadhavan
Kananakuyile: Film: Mr.Bramhachari.
I have seen people choosing a number of these songs to make Mix Masala.

One another commonly used raaga is Anandabairavi:

Kainiraye venna tharam: Film: Baba Kalyani
Vaalkanezhuthiya: Film: Paithrukum

I will come up with more film songs and their raagas in my future posts...Right now signing off..bye!!!

1 comment:

RaviShankar said...

Hi Narayanan ,

I am LayMan in music , but by God Grace attracted by the holy songs and musics of Thiruvasagam and other instrument and some carnatic music.
Missed some days to enjoy the same.

Your blog entry in nice yar. Keep Writing.